Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The frequent use of the word "retard"

This is something I found interesting a few months ago when the movie "Tropic Thunder" first came out. Check out the clip first.


There was a lot of controversy over this film. Many people wanted to shut the movie down because of the frequent use of the word retard. I remember watching what I believe was the Today show which discussed how this movie portrayed "retard" different then other films like "Something About Mary" or the one with Johnny Knoxville, the title does not want to come into my head right now. If anyone has any comments on this I would love to hear them. I often here a number of students, teachers use this term and it shocks me just as they use "fag" or "queer" so readily. Let me know what you think about the clip or if you have anything else to add.

2 comments:

  1. Jen,
    Code switching is big even with teachers. How teachers often talk in the teachers room is different than how they would talk in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a movement right now to 'Spread the Word to End the Word;' I've included the link below. Having now taught an inclusion class, it makes me cringe even more when I hear it. Get your students to make the pledge to stop saying it...
    http://www.r-word.org/

    ReplyDelete