Monday, June 29, 2009

My First Post


Welcome Media Literacy Friends. I am Jen Goulding and this is my last class before I receive my masters in education. Yeah! It has been a crazy 2 year adventure for me. I had my first child in May of 2007 and then began my masters program in September. I then had my second child this past November pretty much in middle of Tiskus's Assessment course (Not actually during class!) But I have made it through and it is a great program for all those who are starting out.
I have been teaching at North Providence for the past six years. I am a Science teacher who has taught a number of different courses in the past 7 years from Biology and Physical Science to Nutrition and Disease and Forensics. I love technology but my school is so behind that I hardly have a chance to use it in my classroom. I am excited that my department head has just given me a projector that I can keep in my classroom so I can't wait to use everything I learn in this next week in my courses for next year. I am excited for this year's course load, Forensics, Environmental Science, and Earth and Space. It should be a good year.
I found Pensky's findings to be spot on. I know I am a digital immigrant because I was born in a time when computers and technology is not what it is today. Email had just started to become begin when I was in college which was just about the time when only a few students had their own cell phone. I was never a big emailer or texter. Hardly ever used my own cell phone which many people made fun of. With my hectic schedule and kids I never had a moment to spend time on the computer. Last year my husband got me a blackberry with unlimited text and email. Now with this technology at my fingertips 24-7 I have definitely upped my digital citizenship. How easily and quickly I confirmed. Two weeks ago I joined facebook and have connected to a lot of old friends that I lost touch with because I didn't email. This phone has opened up a new world for me and I now see why many of my students can't just put their phone away.

1 comment: